Looking for a Good White Wine to Drink with Curry?
It’s #NationalVegetarianWeek so what better way to celebrate than to cook a delicious vegetarian or vegan recipe such as this aromatic Chickpea, Butternut and Coconut Curry. Most importantly, don’t forget to pair with a suitable bottle of wine (also vegan) that complements the flavours perfectly.
A pared back yet fragrant curry with just a hint of chilli which is great with Viognier, Riesling or a Sauvignon blend. Try The Berry Box White for starters – a blend of Sauvignon, Semillon and a dash of Viognier which combines fragrant tropical fruit, bright acidity and a hint of sweetness on the finish.
Chickpea, Butternut and Coconut Curry (vegan)
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 can chickpeas
1 can coconut milk
1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 cardamom pods
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp medium curry powder
240g basmati rice, washed
Naan bread, to serve
4 tbsp Greek style yoghurt
2 large handfuls of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the onions until soft, add the garlic, chilli and spices and fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes until the squash is soft. Add 1 handful of chopped coriander leaves. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook rice for about 15 minutes or until tender. Toast the naan bread in the toaster.
- Serve the curry poured over the rice with a tablespoon of yoghurt and the coriander sprinkled on top and the naan bread on the side. Pour yourself a glass – go on, you deserved it!
Looking for Something Specific?
- 5 Good Reasons NOT To Just Buy Wine On Special Offer
- Amazing Wines From Around The World. It’s Our Thing
- Forget The Big Boys. Wine’s Best From The Enthusiasts
- How To Look Smart With Your Wine Choices
- Is It Worth Spending More On Wine?
- Not Happy With Your Wine? What To Do About It
- The Best Value Wines In The UK? We’re Up There
- Where’s The Best Place To Get Wine Advice?
- Why Great Wine Is Never Found In Supermarkets
- Why ‘By The Case’ Is The Best Way To Buy Wine